Pages

Wednesday 13 March 2013

Gosick Review

Gosick can be a hard anime to talk about.
That's mainly because the show markets and appears from the outside as a mystery series. This isn't really true it all; it's more of a historical drama/adventure, and those venturing in to Gosick for sweeping murder mysteries and puzzling suspense will be disappointed with what they are presented with. That said Gosick is still a surprisingly good series - so long as you know what you're getting into, and you can get past that fact.

Gosick

 Genres//Drama, Romance
Age Rating: 16 & Up for frequent violence and mature themes including what may be some relatively disturbing images to some concerning Victorique's past.
Myanimelist

Review

Set in 1920s in the fictional Europeon country of Saubure.
Kazuya Kujo has been studying abroad at the prestigious Saint Marguerite Academy, where urban legends and horror stories are all the rage. Once there he meets Victorique, a mysterious girl who spends her days in the library reading its entire contents and solving mysteries the local detectives can't solve.

Plot

 I brought Gosick on an impulse buy. I make a lot of impulsive anime buys, and the local Anime Shop's store owner recommended me this series, calling it "quite a nice one."
And being the impulsive buyer I am I decided to try it out.
Gosick (a possible play on the English word 'Gothic') is not a mystery series, as I mentioned before; its description makes it seem like one, but this is misleading and not the case. Going into Gosick looking for a murder mystery will leave you disappointed.
This was how I originally went into the series. I expected a mystery, but I left having watched a drama.

The first mystery in Gosick, the one with the old lady being shot through the eye, was way too easy. But the preview at the end left me quite excited - I thought, "hm, interesting, this next one looks quite good." But that also wasn't much of a mystery either, and my hope in a good mystery show began to waver. Were these the mysteries I was going to get? It all seemed way too easy, even a bit farfetched; but I preserved and I'm actually really glad I did.

You see Gosick is not a murder mystery. But since it does market itself off as one I best talk about the mysteries first. They aren't 'good' mysteries. They aren't particularly the kind of mysteries that require challenge and thought; how the mysteries were handled was rather 'jumpy' as I'd call it, and for most of the first half deals with these rather episodic mysteries that happen. 
But then as the episodes went on the show shifted from being a murder mystery, to an intriguing show actually about our main character - Victorique. Just what is her past? What happened to make her like she is today? And just like that, as the first half came to an end and the second half of the series showed much improvement, we really see great development in these two interesting characters - Victorique and Kujo.

I'll talk about them in depth a bit later. For now, the plot. Not much attention is given to the plot here; it has its fair share of issues, and its clunky script doesn't aid its pacing and draggy beginning. It doesn't help that the mysteries it offers aren't exactly the greatest mysteries a show of this genre can present too. That said the show soon focuses, and focuses on Victorique; by the second half there's a bigger improvement in the mysteries, mysteries that really parallel what was actually going on in this timeline and interconnect with each other. We also get to see a strong development in Kujo and Victorique. The second half is truly when the show began to shine for me, as this is when the show goes from "yeah it's pretty good I suppose" to actually really good and enjoyable. 

There isn't much to say plot-wise. The first half is a few episodic, mediocre mysteries; half-way through the first half the show picks up, and shines more light on Victorique and her character, as well as Kujo's; for me the second half was a definite improvement both mystery-based and character wise. It isn't really a plot driven show; it lacks one, but its two main leads (especially Victorique) seem to carry it through and that's what matters.

The way Gosick deals with its mysteries is rough; its pacing and its rocky script may put off some too. It's rushed at times. But if you can overlook those plot flaws and want to watch a historical fiction that is quite nice and relaxing, as well as intriguing, then Gosick is a good choice. That said, if you are looking for a great mystery that's major focus point is the mystery itself then you'll want to look elsewhere, as Gosick will disappoint you.

Characters


Victorique is probably the most adorable tsundere loli I have ever seen. Just look at her! Cute!


'Tsundere.' I said it. Tsunderes tend to annoy me.
But I ended up liking Victorique a lot. The whole 'pipe in her mouth Sherlock holmes gimmick' is a bit laughable (maybe that's what all the cool kids did in those days idunno) but she ends up being a really nice character, that has an actual personality to her face. And seriously, when she starts 'piecing together the fragments of chaos'...the awesome scene that goes with it. Makes me grin all goofy and like all the time I tell you. :D

Her relationship with Kujo progresses over the course of the series, and your sympathy for the two really does build high. Kujo does become Victorique's first friend, and their relationship and interactions are quite the joy to see. You want these two people, who have been through so much, to just catch a break and have a happy ending. I'm not a huge fan of the romance genre but I found myself liking their progression throughout all the episodes. 

But what really brings her character to life, what really makes her transition from what seems like we're watching a sociopath to viewing a human being with emotions is her voice actor. Ao Yuuki did a wonderful job with the role of Victorique. She is what really makes Victorique and her development throughout the series shine. You have to love the complex 'Vic-noises' as I call them she makes too. Seriously. That Victorique laugh.
Awesome.
 
Onto Kujo (I always think of a dog when I hear that namepeople have called Kujo an 'idiot with no intelligence.' ...That doesn't neccassarily mean he's not likeable. Seriously he's a nice guy, and he puts up with this all the time:
Her famous laugh.

 BARREL ROLL FTW

But it's hard not to like Kujo. He's had his fair share of rough times and he still manages to wear a smile. Whenever he's with Victorique he's pulled into many crazy mysteries and as you learn more about him and see more of his personality your sympathy and hope for the two does grow. Is it done in the most smoothest of manners? No, but in the end it does work and becomes very prominent in the second half.

 That hair...
 ...It defies gravity. o-o

That's really what Gosick is about though. The two main characters. The supporting cast isn't much to scream about; they're there, they have personality and they can be annoying, but they aren't in the spotlight, with the exception of the local detective who also shows development in the second-half
 Victorique carries the show, no doubt - without her Gosick would be but a messy plot with messy mysteries and no enjoyment in seeing a mini loli just barrel kick someone right in the kneecap. (I've always wanted to see that happen). It's not to say Gosick has nothing going for it besides Victorique; it is very enjoyable, for me at least, but she really does leave a huge mark on the show. Her development, and the series focus on her relationship with Kujo outweighs the mediocre and often what can be silly mysteries. Without her it just wouldn't be fun seeing a tsundere puff out her cheeks and sulk.

With its characters Gosick goes from what could have been a failure in the mystery genre, to a charming drama with well developed main leads that carry the show all the way through.


Animation

Gosick has very good animation. With extremely detailed backgrounds that give a 'Europeon feel', and nice and fluid movement...it mightn't be Bones at their top-of-the-top but it is still fine, great quality. The clothes especially. I just want to hope into 1920s Europe and wear all the fashionable clothes there - and I hate shopping for clothes! :D Seriously I just chuck a plain T-shirt and jeans on in the morning and I always forget to brush my hair. I do not care about fashion, but Gosick makes me wish I had the height and face to wear Victoriques' style of clothing. <3
  I...

...Want...
...These...
CLOTHES! D=

I love that style of fashion...-sigh- ;.;


Sound




The opening theme of Gosick is catchy - so catchy in fact that I didn't skip it. It had me tapping my feet, and ready for the next episode. It's generic, yeah, but catchy. The first half of the series the show also had a great ending, much darker than the opening theme with a dark tone and lyrics to match - something I also didn't skip. I was rather disappointed where in the second half they changed the ending. I get that the second ending fits the more romantic themes of the series but come on...first ending ftw. ^.^

I don't remember much of the OSTS so in that area I can't say much. Sound isn't really my forte of judgement, and I find myself lacking in things to say in this area. So long as it doesn't influence the anime in a negative way then I've no problem whether I like the OSTS and openings and endings or whether I don't.

Overall


7.70/10
Good
Positives: Well-developed main leads; a bigger improvement on the second half of the series; Victorique herself
Negatives: Markets itself as a 'mystery' but it really isn't; weighed down by a clunky first half.

It is lucky that we have two main characters to hold up the series that bumped it from mediocre to quite good. In my opinion it's worth checking out, so long as you don't have high expectations for a mystery. Its first half is where most of the flaws lie, while the second half is great improvement from the latter. It is enjoyable, and it makes for a very good historical drama at the end of it, finishing off in a way that left a feeling of satisfaction. Upon finishing this anime I realized that I had thoroughly enjoyed it. It isn't something you have to watch right at this very moment, but if you ever have a bit of time to spare then give Gosick a try - from me it comes as a recommended 'Rent it' or 'Stream it.' I wouldn't recommend buying it on impulse until you've actually seen the series enough to know whether you like it or not.

Now if you'll excuse me...I'm off to swoon over Victorique and her cuteness.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment, stranger or not. :)