Pages

Thursday 2 May 2013

Clannad Visual Novel - Mei's Route

Playing the Clannad Visual Novel I had no intention of playing Mei's route. She just looked like Sunohara's twerpy little sister...maybe because she is his twerpy little sister, but either way I thought her route would be boring and/or uninteresting. Derp.
That said I actually ended up playing her route through a mistake. I accidentally clicked "take the call" when Sunohara's sister called up, automatically putting me on the Mei route and leaving me to scream out at the unfairness of it all. Keep in mind I didn't know the magical VN button known as 'CTRL' at the time and I didn't want to sit through another one thousand 'enter' button mashes, nor did I save before this point (note to self: save every thirty seconds)...so I ended up doing it anyway.
...I can't believe why I didn't want to play this route. It was actually surprisingly good. o-o

Clannad Visual Novel

Mei's Route

Since I'm too lazy to paste and save screenshots of the actual visual novel, we'll be using google-searched screenshots of the anime. That's just how lazy hipsters like me roll. B)

 I really liked Sunohara, mainly because of his stupidity and comic relief. I didn't think I would like Mei, but upon actually completing the route I have come to realize that now Sunohara is a self-centered douche and Mei is likeable, adorable and the cutest little sister anyone could ask for.
Clannad starts in its usual way. You know, all funny with much Key-humor abound that once you choose a character's route to play gradually transcends into a depressing drama that results in many tears both in and outside the game.
I actually like the visual novel more than the anime. My personal preference I guess, though once I complete the VN I'll make a full review on Clannad. (I've only done two routes at the moment, Mei included so...I've a long way to go.)
 ANYHOW.
I really liked Mei by the end of her route. I felt true sympathy for her - she just wants to make sure her brother is okay and doing well, but her brother wants nothing to do with her. I honestly thought she would just annoy the heck out of me, but she ended up being a young and cute loli without being too much of a loli...if that makes any sense. We also have seen more of Nagisa's mother, Sanae, and it made for some comedy with the whole plot involving him and Sanae (especially at the end haha!) And honestly the the final act of the route was surprisingly intense.

So it was a really good route, surprisingly. Never thought I would like it but I did, and ended up really liking Mei and disliking Sunohara.  The ending made me smile and it was satisfying. It's a pretty short route, only around approximately sixty minutes long, but if you have your doubts about this one I'd say give it a go. You may end up being pleasantly surprised.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment, stranger or not. :)